Roberts, Walter Orr, 1966
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Walter Orr Roberts, 1966. One sound cassette (ca. 1 hr.) : analog, mono. Two physical versions (one master, one copy). Transcript (24 pgs.). Forms part of the UCAR/NCAR Oral History Collection. In this interview Walter Orr Roberts discusses the war time (World War II) and working in isolation at the observatory in the mining community of Climax, Colorado. He talks about observing the Sun’s corona, using the chronograph and doing special cosmic ray work with gold. The observatory was eventually incorporated jointly with the University of Colorado. Roberts wanted to get the Climax Company’s permission to name the observatory the Climax Solar Observatory, but timing was not on his side. Jack Evans and Roberts decided on a different name, the High Altitude Observatory (HAO). Roberts talks about a visit from members of the Soviet Union to Climax after the war. The Russians were interested in building a chronograph and Roberts and Evans discussed the principles of design and operation with them. The visit sparked a lot of discussion on what the post-war chronograph would look like, what would be the next big step in chronograph development. Roberts concludes by discussing the plans for building a new chronograph and site development at HAO.
- From the Collection: National Center for Atmospheric Research (U.S.) (Organization)
- From the Collection: University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Some access restrictions apply to the interviews within this collection (mostly prohibiting online access), and all are not open for access. Please contact the Archives for more information. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, statements, and other information expressed in the interviews, or in any abstract or transcription thereof, reflect the opinions of the narrator and interviewer of the tape or transcript only, and do not necessarily reflect the views of UCAR / NCAR or the National Science Foundation.
From the Collection: 71.00 Items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scientists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Solar physics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sun--Research Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings