Roberts, Walter Orr, 1985
Scope and Contents
Oral History Interview with Walter Orr Roberts, 1985. Interviewed by Lucy Warner. 3 sound cassettes (ca. 3 hrs.): analog, mono. UCAR/NCAR 1; two physical versions (one master, one copy). Transcript (86 pgs.). Forms part of the UCAR/NCAR Oral History Collection. In this interview Walter Orr Roberts discusses the Mesa Laboratory and surrounding site, including the Fleischmann Building, and its architect, I.M. Pei. Roberts speaks briefly about his experience designing the High Altitude Observatory (HAO) and how that informed planning of the Mesa Laboratory. Roberts goes into detail discussing the structural and aesthetic design of the Mesa Laboratory and surrounding site; the relationship with the architectural team; Pei’s architectural influences; and how the rooms and spaces have been utilized throughout the years.
- From the Collection: National Center for Atmospheric Research (U.S.) (Organization)
- From the Collection: University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Some access restrictions apply to the interviews within this collection (mostly prohibiting online access), and all are not open for access. Please contact the Archives for more information. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, statements, and other information expressed in the interviews, or in any abstract or transcription thereof, reflect the opinions of the narrator and interviewer of the tape or transcript only, and do not necessarily reflect the views of UCAR / NCAR or the National Science Foundation.
From the Collection: 71.00 Items
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
- Architecture, Modern--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture--Colorado--Boulder Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Archives Repository